I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.
--Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco

Saturday, July 5, 2008

I hate goodbyes or the lack thereof

Same warning.

After seeing last night's episode, I cried myself to sleep and could not write down a coherent thought until I have had my morning jog and appreciate how, pardon me as I plagiarize Jewel, the light lends itself to soft repose on everything in sight. Ah, I applaud Russell T. Davies for that ending which, although leaving one strangely unsatisfied, still does absolutely make sense.

A point of discontent on my part is the absence of goodbyes among the companions. I know that they had to pack in as many scenes as they can into one episode, but I just wanted to see a Jack and Rose hug. After all, Rose did not only change the Doctor, she could also be considered the turning point of "Captain Jack Harkness"' life. And if the brown-coated Doctor was never going to see her again, it would be more impossible for Jack to do so.


And another important goodbye would be the one between the brown-coated Doctor and Jackie. After Rose's family, I did not feel that kind of connection between the Doctor and the companions' family. Oh, how I love that little scene where the brown-coated Doctor was instructing everyone how to help, everyone except for Jackie. "No, Jackie, no no, not you. Don't touch anything, just stand back." WAHAHAHA! Only true love and affection could make him say that.


Again, Rose and Mickey, Mickey and Jackie, I mean Mickey was a part of their family. And how about the one-hearted Doctor, he was not able to say goodbye to Sarah Jane, Jack, Donna, Martha and Mickey and he would never see them again. A lot of not seeing each other again.

As for everything else, it just made me cry. The Doctor, the one in the brown coat of course, the one who's life we're going to see in the next series and perhaps for all eternity, ultimately showed how much he loved Rose by saying, "Does it need saying?" instead of "I love you." If he had said what he really wanted to say, even just once, she would have gone with him, no matter how comfortable and happy her life would be with the one-hearted Doctor and her family. By sacrificing his own happiness, the Doctor assured Rose's happiness.

I don't quite buy the whole bow and package story. Between the brown-coated and the one-hearted Doctors, I think the lonely one who saves the world every single day would need her more. I don't consider a bonus the fact that the one-hearted one grows old with her. And I cannot believe that Rose's motivation for staying are three little words or that she thinks he is the same being. Rose said it: "But he's not you."

I really wanted Rose to chase the Tardis and the brown-coated Doctor. That would definitely be the happy ending of the last episode of the last series in the parallel universe where Doctor Who is not a commercial endeavor. But in this universe where Russell T. Davies is going to be replaced by Steven Moffat and where we'll be seeing more Doctor Who episodes in our lifetime, it would make sense that Rose will be given that happy ending instead at Journey's End.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the future and anticipating the Nth episode or Christmas Special or Comic Relief of Doctor Who, guest starring an older David Tennant as the one-hearted Doctor, Billie Piper, Camille Coduri and Shaun Dingwall, where the newest regeneration of the two-hearted Doctor meets with, in a way, his child with Rose and with the Who and Tyler families. And who knows, considering how infinite the possibilities are when it comes to a TimeLord travelling through space and time in a box, there might still be a chance meeting between Rose and the brown-coated Doctor in the future. If so, I hope in my lifetime.

While waiting for that, I will be watching how Mickey and Martha are going to fit into the dynamics of Torchwood and watching out for any appearance of Thomas Milligan and the brown-coated Doctor's daughter and wife. I am quite excited for Steven Moffat's turn. The Empty Child scared me so much, I watch it all the time, by myself, in the dark. Maybe the brown-hearted Doctor will now make witty quips about the interactions of men and women a la Coupling, which is one of my favorite shows by the way.

Before that, I would just like to say: Hey Russell T. Davies, thanks for always grounding me in reality and for reminding me that saving the world is lonely. And for the other stuff, does it need saying?

No comments: